TRUE - Hiryuu no Kishi (Kyau Remix) TRUE - Hiryuu no Kishi (Kyau Remix)

really, on such an obvious alt?

~SW~ Annar ~SW~ Annar

I realized going through your profile that I won't make it through your entire discography anytime soon :/. Anyways, this is the first track from you in which I'm not a huge fan of your bass work. I really love the composition of this piece not entirely sold on the sounds. I think in general you need more in the sub frequencies. There's some cool stuff going on, but that really detracted from the track for me.

SkyeWint responds:

You know what, you're right. I had literally no bass in this track - the bass drum is the only thing there. Couldn't fit that in the two weeks that I had to make this. (or realistically, closer to about 3 days)

~SW~ Thoughtspark ~SW~ Thoughtspark

Ok here we go. Eventually i'll make it through everything you've made.
Once again I adore your bass. The amount of sub is just perfect.
Your long buildups are fantastic, but I think this one may go on a bit too long without building. The energy level of the track is pretty stagnant up until about 1:40, could benefit from some greater swells and such.
I absolutely adore the section that comes right after. The glitched drums mesh perfectly with the sparse instrumentation.
I love all of your transition effects, they're absolutely marvelous in their uniqueness. I think you've found a really great sound for yourself and I look forward to seeing how it develops!

SkyeWint responds:

No disagreement about the long opening! That's part of why I had the section right after - it was an idea that worked better, but also kinda needed the intro to sound as good.

I've been working on improving my overall mix for a lot of my music. My recent stuff definitely shows the fruitition of those efforts, haha!

The transitions are also a part I work really hard on (though that's been for much longer). Hopefully I'll be able to develop this kind of sound more in the future! :)

~SW~ Reflection ~SW~ Reflection

Wow this is amazing. I love your basslines. And when you pitched down that snare. YES. This is fantastic. Serious flashbacks to long nights playing starbound and astroneer.

Hi!

Yay! I'm glad you liked this one! :) This was one of the pieces that I put a serious, SERIOUS amount of effort into. (like I think something around 60 hours) I'm glad that it shows in the basslines and the snare and everything. I'm not sure what inspired me overall. It wasn't Starbound (though I do want to make a piece inspired by that game soon), never heard of Astroneer either. That said, Starbound has an amazing soundtrack so I'm honored to have the piece be similar enough that it gives flashbacks!

Thanks for the mad props dude!

~SW~ Mellowdia ~SW~ Mellowdia

The arps in this are magnificent. I absolutely adore them, both in voicings and in sound design. The clicky percussion however, didn't sit well with me. Overall this was a nice little track, wish it would have been more fleshed out, but enjoyable nonetheless!

Heyo!

Funny thing about this piece - the arps and the clicky percussion are the same instrument. I guess it's a matter of taste - I deliberately raised the highs of that pluck to ludicrous levels for that click on a whim and liked it. Oh well. -.( '-').-

I agree that this should probably be fleshed out. Maybe in the future I'll develop it properly. Probably when I actually have a keyboard.

Also dudemanbro, you ended up reviewing two of my less good pieces right out the bat (aside from Reflection). I know that couldn't have been intentional, but pretty funny - there's some better stuff in there, I promise!

~SW~ 2 ~SW~ 2

I really love the slow buildup of this track. The instruments use the stereo space so nicely, just as I've come to love from ambient music. I think when the percussion comes in, its rather lackluster, the snare doesn't seem to fit into the mix. Near the latter parts of the track it also starts feeling over compressed or limited.

Overall however, I really enjoyed this track. It flowed nicely and left me feeling content. Great job, i'll be checking out more of your stuff :D

SkyeWint responds:

Hey, dude! Thanks for dropping a review!

The percussion was honestly something that I just felt like making. Wanted to experiment with distorted drums in this. I agree I could have gotten it to fit a bit better into the mix. Truth be told, this mix didn't have quite as much effort in it as some of my other work, possibly because this piece wasn't one with too much effort in it in general, haha! Oh well - that's the kind of criticism I expect when I just make stuff for the sake of making something rather than developing an idea that I really 'felt'.

Either way, thanks for the review! :) I'm glad that it's at least decently good, that's generally a good baseline to have!

Xtrullor - Jnana Xtrullor - Jnana

My body is ready for a new era of Xtrullor.

A W A K E N A W A K E N

These padscapes are absolutely enchanting. I am in love with your sound design. I only wish this was longer haha :D

larrynachos responds:

Man if only I had the patience to make like a 10 minute ambient song *drool*

Vapor Vapor

This song pleases me aurally.

Lockyn responds:

You please me in all the ways bb

3MBER - Strawberry Sky (Karaplex Remix) 3MBER - Strawberry Sky (Karaplex Remix)

This track is absolutely beautiful!

Here's some thoughts that I had while listening touching up:

The first lead sound sticks out a little too much in my opinion, maybe put some more reverb on it to help fade it into the rest of the track.
When the big synths come in at 0:50 there is far too much high end, make sure every sound has its own place.
The idea behind the drop is splendid, and I love that sub. However, I don't think it gets enough room to shine, make sure you eq out the low end from the other sounds to give it its place in the mix.
At 2:06, I have the opposite thought from earlier, there is actually too much reverb and its causing the whole mix to be muddy.
Throughout the track, the snare doesn't hit at hard as it could, maybe consider side chaining to it as well. On that note, I would sidechain the hats and percs to the kick to let it punch more.
The piano in the bridge section is absolutely beautiful, but it is a little loud.
In the tom build, the toms transient is too present
Overall maybe pan your percs/hats more?

Very solid track compositionally, just a few things i would change about the mix!

windluxmusic responds:

Glad you enjoyed m8 :3 I definitely agree with you about the mix, and its gonna sound pretty juvenile of me but I blame that on my shitty computer xD The amount of lag I was suffering while making that track was mental. Anyway thanks for the long review, I love it when I get those. Cheers ;)